Search This Blog

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Plantronics PC Speaker Headset Switch

By Cameron Gibbs

If you're like me, reaching behind your computer to unplug your speakers in order to plug your headset in is a pain in the neck. Almost everytime I do it, I end up plugging the microphone cable into the speaker port or vice versa and get frustrated in the process. Even when I moved my computer to the desktop, it was still a dreaded task. One day as I was hunched over my computer performing the switch, it occurred to me that there must be a simple switch out there that plugs into the speaker and microphone ports and allows you to, with the touch of a button, switch between your pc speakers and your headset. When I discovered that such a switch does indeed exist, I felt like Cinderella when the Fairy Godmother appeared.

The Plantronics PC Speaker Headset Switch is probably the best switct out there because it comes with built-in speaker and microphone cables (some use detachable cables which isn't ideal from a consumer's perspective because then you'd have to buy the cables separately).

This may not seem like such a cool product to every computer user, but to me and my wife this is the greatest thing that's happened since sliced bread. My wife likes it because she constantly uses the headset calling and video conferencing her family and I like using the speakers to listen to music and watch movies. I also use the headset to listen to spoken word daily so you can imagine how frequently we switch between the two.

Cameron Gibbs is a Business Development Officer at Sewell Direct, a retailer of computer hardware products.

No comments: